Computational Analysis of Thermal-Hydraulic Parameters of Storage Pools of the Bilibino NPP During Long-Term Storage of Spent Nuclear Fuel
3/28/2023 2023 - #01 Thermal physics and thermal hydraulics
Vorobeva A.A. Moskovchenko I.V. Mukhamadeyev R.I. Sergeev V.V. Suvorov A.P. Timofeev V.F. Nizenta E.S. Adiyatullin R.H. Golosov O.A. Glushkova N.V.
On the base of the developed integral dynamic model of the fuel storage pool (SP), taking into account the specifics of the Bilibino NPP and the corresponding calculation program, the results of calculations of the temperature dynamics of the coolants and claddings of the fuel elements located in the spent fuel pools 1 – 4 of this facility for the period up to 2035 are presented. Based on the obtained results, the analysis of the dynamics of the corrosion state of the SFA fuel rod claddings and the walls of the storage canisters was carried out.
The Bilibino Nuclear Power Plant consists of 4 Power Units with EGP-6 water-graphite channel reactors. At the moment, Power Unit No 1 has been shut down, Units No 2 – 4 have received a license for operation until December 2025. Currently, spent fuel assemblies (SFA) and CPS channels in storage pools SP-1,2 are stored in hermetic canisters made of carbon steel 20 filled with nitrogen in «dry» conditions, while SFA and CPS in storage pools SP-3, 4 are stored in stainless steel canisters in «wet» conditions. An important point in substantiating the further extension of the operation of the power units of the Bilibino NPP is the analysis and justification of the possibility of long-term accident-free storage of spent nuclear fuel in the fuel storage pool after the final shutdown of all reactors.
- CORSAR Calculation Code User Manual. Sosnovy Bor, 2006, 257 p. Available at: https://korsar.niti.ru/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2022/04/um_v3_ru.pdf (accessed Jul. 10, 2022) (in Russian).
- RELAP 5-3D. Code Manual. User’s Guidelines NUREG/CR-5535 Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory INEL-95/0174. 2002, v. 5, rev. 1. Available at: https://inis.iaea.org/collection/NCLCollectionStore/_Public/27/008/27008531.pdf (accessed Jul. 10, 2022).
- Spore J.W., Jolly-Woodruff S.J., Knight T.K., Lin J-C., Nelson R.A., Pasamehmetoglu K.O., Steinke R.G. and Unal C. TRAC-PF1/M0D2 Code Manual, Vol. 1, Theory Manual, NUREG/CR-5673, LA-12031-M, 1993.
- Sergeev V.V. Specific Features of Numerical Simulation of Thermal Operation Mode the Spent Fuel Pools of Bilibino NPP. VANT. Ser. Yadernye i Reaktornye Konstanty. 2021, iss. 1, pp. 91-107; DOI: https://doi.org/10.55176/2414-1038-2021-1-97-107(in Russian).
- Zherdev G.M., Suvorov A.P. Nuclear Calculator EGP-6 Code for the Engineering Calculations of Radiation Characteristics of Spent Fuel Assemblies of Bilibino NPP. VANT. Ser. Yadernye i Reaktornye Konstanty. 2020, iss. 3, pp. 72-79; DOI: https://doi.org/10.55176/2414-1038-2020-3-72-79 (in Russian).
- Ade B.J., Gauld Ian C. Decay Heat Calculations for PWR and BWR Assemblies Fueled with Uranium and Plutonium Mixed Oxide Fuel Using Scale. Oak Ridge National Laboratory. 2011. Available at: https://info.ornl.gov/sites/publications/Files/Pub31857.pdf (accessed Jul. 10, 2022).
- Gauld I.C., Murphy B.D. Technical Basis for a Proposed Expansion of Regulatory Guide 3.54-Decay Heat Generation in an Independent Spent Fuel Storage Installation. United States Regulatory Commission, 2010. Available at: https://www.nrc.gov/docs/ML1008/ML100850213.pdf (accessed Jul. 10, 2022).
- Balashevsky A.S., Shevelev D.V., Vlasenko N.I., Kozlov V.Ya. Simulation of an Accident in the SNF Pool of Power Unit No. 1 of the South Ukrainian NPP in Case of Heat Removal Failure Using the MELCOR Code. Izvestiya Vyshikh Uchebnykh Zavedeniy. Yadernaya Energetika. 2013, no. 3, pp. 15-23; DOI: https://doi.org/10.26583/npe.2013.3.02 (in Russian).
- Heat Exchanger Handbook. Vol. 1. Moscow. Energoatomizdat Publ., 1987, 560 p. Available at: https://www.c-o-k.ru/library/document/12959 (accessed Jul. 10, 2022) (in Russian).
- Orvos M, Szabo V, Pus T. Rate of Evaporation from the Free Surface of the Heated Liquid. Prikladnaya Mekhanika i Tekhnicheskaya Fizika. 2016, v. 57, no. 6, pp. 168-179; DOI: https://doi.org/10.15372/PMTF20160619 (in Russian).
- Burtsev S.I., Tsvetkov Yu.N. Wet Air. Composition and Properties. Saint Petersburg. St. Petersburg State Academy of Refrigeration and Food Technologies Publ., 1998, 146 p. Available at: http://booksshare.net/index.php?id1=4&category=chem&author=burcev-si&book=1998 (accessed Jul. 10, 2022) (in Russian).
Bilibino Nuclear Power Plant (BiNPP) fuel storage pool (SP) spent fuel assembly (SFA) thermohydraulic industry codes isotope kinetics heat exchanger (HE) evaporation from the water surface
Link for citing the article: Vorobeva A.A., Moskovchenko I.V., Mukhamadeyev R.I., Sergeev V.V., Suvorov A.P., Timofeev V.F., Nizenta E.S., Adiyatullin R.H., Golosov O.A., Glushkova N.V. Computational Analysis of Thermal-Hydraulic Parameters of Storage Pools of the Bilibino NPP During Long-Term Storage of Spent Nuclear Fuel. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya Energetika. 2023, no. 1, pp. 44-56; DOI: https://doi.org/10.26583/npe.2023.1.04 (in Russian).