Hybrid Fusion-Fission Reactor Facility: Power Profiling
The current state of research aimed for utilizing the fission processes of heavy and fusion of light nuclei in creation of energy facilities for consumers makes possible to predict the development of modern energy industry in the direction of creating hybrid power plants. Such facility includes one subsystem containing heavy hydrogen isotopes for the fusion process and another subsystem represents blanket loaded with isotopic composition fuel characteristic of typical industrial fission reactors. As one of the examples such facilities is a detailed project for the tokamak with reactor technologies designed in Russia, in which thermonuclear plasma torus is covered by a blanket with nuclear fuel. Another scientific community well-known project of a hybrid reactor is a volume loaded with fuel for nuclear fission reactors which receives from the outside an additional neutron flux produced in heavy isotopes due to irradiation by a high energy proton beam from a high-power accelerator. The implementation of such hybrid power plant with usage of external neutron fluxes emerging from the tokamak plasma or from a target irradiated by the proton beam from a high-energy accelerator turns out to be acceptable for practice only with its tens of Gig watts power. This power level determines the possibility of creation such power station in a very distant future.
In contrast to the direction of research on the creation of gigantic energy hybrid plants, our research is aimed at the development of the facility for a power level about 100 MWth at using the positive features of hybrid plants. The creation of hybrid plants with mentioned moderate power level is quite possible in the next fifteen to twenty years. In this case, it opens up possibility for practice application of the energy hybrid plants in an acceptable, relatively short time.
This article describes the results of studies of the thermophysical and gas-dynamic characteristics of the operating state of the fusion-fission reactor facility proposed in our previous paper. This facility consists of an axial symmetric assembly of fuel blocks of a high-temperature gas-cooled reactor and a linear configuration plasma source of additional neutrons. The paper demonstrates the results of joint optimization thermophysical and gas-dynamic studies in order to decrease the radial energy release field offsets formed in the facility volume intended for the neutron multiplication. These offsets accrue as result of the pulsed mode of the D–T neutron source operation.
- Atomnaya Energiya 2.0. Rosatom Plans to Expand Research in the Field of Thermonuclear and Plasma Technologies Available at: https://www.atomic-energy.ru/news/2022/03/04/122518 (accessed Apr. 27, 2022) (in Russian).
- AtomInfo. The Belgian Nuclear Center SCK-CEN Provided Information on a Course of Construction the New Isotope MYRRHA Reactor. Available at: http://atominfo.ru/newsz03/a0200.htm (accessed Apr. 27, 2022) (in Russian).
- Abderrahim H.A., Kupschus P., Malambu E., Benoit P., Van Tichelen K., Arien B., Vermeersch F., D’hondt P., Jongen Y., Ternier S. and Vandeplassche D. MYRRHA: A Multipurpose Accelerator Driven System for Research & Development. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment. 2001, v. 463 (3), pp. 487-494; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0168-9002(01)00164-4 .
- Wu Y. Design and R&D progress of China lead-based reactor for ADS research facility. Engineering. 2016, v. 2 (1), pp. 124-131; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/J.ENG.2016.01.023 .
- Salvatores M., Orsitto F., Carta M., Burgio N., Fabrizio V., Falconi L., Palomba M. and Panza F. An Approach to the Experimental Validation of the Fission Multiplying Blanket of Hybrid Fusion Fission Systems. Annals of Nuclear Energy. 2021, v. 157, no. 108055; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2020.108055 .
- Ananyev S.S., Ivanov B.V. and Kuteev B.V. Analysis of Promising Technologies of DEMO-FNS Fuel Cycle. Fusion Engineering and Design. 2020, v. 161, no. 111940; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fusengdes.2020.111940 .
- Arzhannikov A.V., Shmakov V.M., Modestov D.G., Bedenko S.V., Prikhodko V.V., Lutsik I.O. and Shamanin I.V. Facility to Study Neutronic Properties of a Hybrid Thorium Reactor with a Source of Thermonuclear Neutrons Based on a Magnetic Trap. Nuclear Engineering and Technology. 2020, v. 52(11), pp. 2460-2470; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2020.05.003 .
- Arzhannikov A., Bedenko S., Shmakov V., Knyshev V., LutsikI., Prikhodko V. and Shamanin I. Gas-Cooled Thorium Reactor at Various Fuel Loadings and its Modification by a Plasma Source of Extra Neutrons. Nuclear Science and Techniques. 2019, v. 30 (12), pp. 1-11; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s41365-019-0707-y .
- Bedenko S.V., Arzhannikov A.V., Lutsik I.O., Prikhodko V.V., Shmakov V.M., Modestov D.G., Karengin A.G. and Shamanin I.V. Maintaining the Close-to-Critical State of Thorium Fuel Core of Hybrid Reactor Operated Under Control by DT Fusion Neutron Flux. Nuclear Engineering and Technology. 2021, v. 53 (6), pp. 1736-1746; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2020.11.026 .
- Krasilnikov A.V., Konovalov S.V., Bondarchuk E.N., Mazul I.V., Rodin I.Yu., Mineev A.B., Kuzmin E.G., Kavin A.A., Karpov D.A., Leonov V.M., Khairutdinov R.R., Kukushkin A.S., Portnov D.V., Ivanov A.A., Belchenko Yu.I., Denisov G.G. Tokamak with Reactor Technologies (TRT): Conception, Missions, Main Peculiarities and Expected Characteristics. Fizika Plazmy. 2021, v. 47 (11), pp. 970-985; DOI: https://doi.org/10.31857/S0367292121110196 (in Russian).
- Shmelev A.N., Kulikov G.G., Kurnaev V.A., Salahutdinov G.H., Kulikov E.G. and Apse V.A. Hybrid Fusion-Fission Reactor with a Thorium Blanket: Its Potential in the Fuel Cycle of Nuclear Reactors. Physics of Atomic Nuclei. 2015, v. 78 (10), pp.1100-1111; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1134/S1063778815100117 .
- Moir R.W., Martovetsky N.N., Molvik A.W., Ryutov D. and Simonen T.C. Mirror-BasedHybrids of Recent Design. In AIP Conference Proceedings. American Institute of Physics.2012, v. 1442, no. 1, pp. 43-54; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4706853 .
- Arzhannikov A.V., Anikeev A.V., Beklemishev A.D., Ivanov A.A., Shamanin I.V., Dyachenko A.N. and Dolmatov O.Y. Subcritical Assembly with Thermonuclear Neutron Source as Device for Studies of Neutron-Physical Characteristics of Thorium Fuel. In AIP Conference Proceedings. AIP Publishing LLC. 2016, v. 1771, no. 1, p. 090004; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4964246 .
- Bedenko S.V., Lutsik I.O., Matyushin A.A., Polozkov S.D., Shmakov V.M., Modestov D.G., Prikhodko V.V., Arzhannikov A.V. Hybrid «Fusion-Fission» Reactor Facility: Neutronic Research. Izvestiya Vuzov. Yadernaya Energetika. 2021, v. 4, pp. 31-41; DOI: https://doi.org/10.26583/npe.2021.4.03 (in Russian).
- Gudowski W., Arzhanov V., Broeders C., Broeders I., Cetnar J., Cummings R., Ericsson M., Fogelberg B., Gaudard C., Koning A. and Landeyro P. Review of the European Project – Impact of Accelerator-Based Technologies on Nuclear Fission Safety (IABAT). Progress in Nuclear Energy. 2021, v. 38 (1-2), pp. 135-151; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/S0149-1970(00)00099-8 .
- Knaster J., Arbeiter F., Cara P., Chel S., Facco A., Heidinger R., Ibarra A., Kasugai A., Kondo H., Micciche, G. and Ochiai K. IFMIF, the European-Japanese Efforts Under the Broader Approach Agreement Towards a Li (d, xn) Neutron Source: Current Status and Future Options. Nuclear Materials and Energy. 2016, v. 9, pp. 46-54; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/J.NME.2016.04.012 .
- Prikhodko V.V. and Arzhannikov A.V. Simulations of Fusion Neutron Source Based on the Axially Symmetric Mirror Trap for the Thorium Hybrid Reactor. In Journal of Physics: Conference Series. IOP Publishing, 2020, v. 1647, no. 1, p. 012004; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/1647/1/012004 .
- Shamanin I.V., Bedenko S.V., Chertkov, Yu.B., Gubaydulin I.M. Gas-Cooled Thorium Reactor with Fuel Block of the Unified Design. Izvestiya Vuzov. Yadernaya Energetika. 2015, v. 3, pp. 124-134; DOI: https://doi.org/10.26583/npe.2015.3.13 (in Russian).
- Bedenko S.V., Ghal-Eh N., Lutsik I.O. and Shamanin I.V. A Fuel for Generation IV Nuclear Energy System: Isotopic Composition and Radiation Characteristics. Applied Radiation and Isotopes. 2019, v. 147, pp. 189-196; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apradiso.2019.03.005 .
- Yurov D.V., Prikhodko V.V. and Tsidulko Y.A. Nonstationary Model of an Axisymmetric Mirror Trap with Nonequilibrium Plasma. Plasma Physics Reports. 2016, v. 42(3), pp. 210-225; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1134/S1063780X16030090 .
- Anikeev A.V., Prikhodko V.V. and Yurov D.V. Parameters of a Fusion Neutron Source Based on the Recent GDT Experimental Data and Possible Applications. Fusion Science and Technology. 2015, v. 68(1), pp. 70-75; DOI: https://doi.org/10.13182/FST14-863 .
- Kandiev Y.Z., Kashaeva E.A., Khatuntsev K.E., Kuropatenko E.S., Lobanova L.V., Lukin G.N., Malakhov A.A., Malyshkin G.N., Modestov D.G., Mukhamadiev R.F. and Orlov V.G. PRIZMA Status. Annals of Nuclear Energy. 2015, v. 82, pp. 116-120; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2014.09.006 .
- Shaimerdenov A., Gizatulin S., Dyussambayev D., Askerbekov S., Ueta, S., Aihara J., Shibata T., Sakaba N. Study on the Effect of Long-Term High Temperature Irradiation on TRISO Fuel. Nuclear Engineering and Technology. 2022; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.net.2022.02.026 .
- Bess J. & Fujimoto N. Benchmark Evaluation of Start-Up and Zero-Power Measurements at the High-Temperature Engineering Test Reactor. Nuclear Science and Engineering. 2014, v. 178, pp. 414-427; DOI: https://doi.org/10.13182/NSE14-14 .
- Bedenko S.V., Karengin A.G., Ghal-Eh N., Alekseev N. I., Knyshev V.V. and Shamanin I.V. Thermophysical Properties of Dispersion Nuclear Fuel for a New-Generation Reactors: A Computational Approach. In AIP Conference Proceedings. AIP Publishing LLC. 2019, v. 2101, no. 1, p. 020002; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5099594 .
Link for citing the article: Bedenko S.V., Lutsik I.O., Matyushin A.A., Polozkov S.D., Shmakov V.M., Modestov D.G., Prikhodko V.V., Arzhannikov A.V. Hybrid Fusion-Fission Reactor Facility: Power Profiling. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya Energetika. 2022, no. 3, pp. 42-52; DOI: https://doi.org/10.26583/npe.2022.3.04 (in Russian).