Nuclear Energy System Modelling Application Package: Functional Overview and Examples
6/20/2022 2022 - #02 Modelling processes at nuclear facilities
Andrianov A.A. Kuptsov I.S. Osipova T.A. Spiridonova A.A. Andrianova O.N. Utyanskaya T.V.
The article delineates the nuclear energy system modelling application package (NESAPP) which can be used to develop models for assessing material flows, needs for nuclear fuel cycle services and economic performance metrics for evolving nuclear energy systems. NESAPP is a set of codes designed to support nuclear energy planning and nuclear fuel cycle transition scenario studies, including the following modules: NUDAPS (a module for calculating thermal neutron cross-sections, resonance integrals and few-group neutron cross-sections, and associated uncertainties), NUCLEX (a module for calculating the evolution of the nuclide composition and characteristics of nuclear fuel in reactors and in the external nuclear fuel cycle), NUCAB (a module for adjusting isotopic composition and blending), FANES (a module for analysing material flows and integrating data in nuclear energy system evolution scenarios), ECNES (a module for assessing economic performance metrics for nuclear energy system evolution scenarios). Each module can be considered both as an independent software tool and as a component of the software tool for technical and economic modelling of the nuclear energy system deployment. Various calculation models are implemented in the modules, allowing users to assess the uncertainties associated with the method applied as well as to perform uncertainty treatment with respect to modelling results due to the initial data uncertainty. The paper also provides some examples of applying the developed tools.
- Silvennoinen P. Nuclear Fuel Cycle Optimization: Methods and Modelling Techniques. New York, Pergamon Press, 1982, 138 p.; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-027310-5.50006-0 . ISBN 978-1-4831-4554-9.
- Klimenko A.V. Mathematical Model of Power System Optimization and its Application. Moscow. NIYaU MIFI Publ., 2010, 292 p. (in Russian).
- Muravev E.V. System Research in Justification of Nuclear Power Development Strategy. Moscow, NIKIET JSC Publ., 2019. 412 p. (in Russian).
- Brown N.R., Carlsen B.W., Dixon B.W., Feng B., Greenberg H.R., Hays R.D., Passerini S., Todosow M., and Worrall A. Identification of Fuel Cycle Simulator Functionalities. Annals of Nuclear Energy. 2016, v. 96, pp. 88-95; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2016.05.027 .
- Andrianov A.A., Gurin A.V., Dyrda N.D., Kvyatkovskii S.A., Makeeva I.R., Molokanov N.A., Murav’ev E.V., Ptitsyn P.B., Rodionova E.V., Teplov P.S. Software Packages for Technical and Economic Modeling of Nuclear Energy Systems: Status and Development Prospects. Atomic Energy. 2020, v. 128, iss. 6, pp. 344-352; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1007/s10512-020-00702-7 .
- Andrianov A.A., Andrianova O.N., Kuptsov I.S. NUCLEX (Nuclide Evolution eXplorer) – a Software Tool for Calculating the Evolution of the Nuclide Composition and Characteristics of Nuclear Fuel in Reactors and in the External Nuclear Fuel Cycle. Deposited manuscript No. 3-V2021. Moscow. VINITI RAN Publ., 2021, 40 p. (in Russian).
- Andrianov A.A., Andrianova O.N. NUDAPS (NUclear DAta Processing Spreadsheets) – a Software Tool for Calculating Thermal Neutron Cross-Sections, Resonance Integrals and Few-Group Neutron Cross-Sections and Associated Uncertainties. Deposited manuscript No. 4-V2021. Moscow. VINITI RAN Publ., 2021, 72 p. (in Russian).
- Andrianov A.A., Andrianova O.N., Kuptsov I.S. FANES (Material Flow Analysis Data Integrator for Nuclear Energy System) – a Software Tool for Material Flow Analysis and Data Integration in Nuclear Energy System Evolution Scenarios. Deposited manuscript No. 51-V2021. Moscow. VINITI RAN Publ., 2021, 50 p. (in Russian).
- Andrianov A.A., Andrianova O.N. NUCAB (Nuclide Composition Adjustment and Blending Tool) – a Software Tool for Isotopic Composition Adjustment and Blending. Deposited manuscript No. 52-V2021. Moscow. VINITI RAN Publ., 2021, 31 p. (in Russian).
- Andrianov A.A. ECNES (Economic Assessment Tool for Nuclear Energy System) – a Software Tool for Assessing Economic Performance Metrics for Nuclear Energy System Evolution Scenarios. Deposited manuscript No. 50-V2021. Moscow. VINITI RAN Publ., 2021, 47 p. (in Russian).
- Software for Working with MS Excel Spreadsheets. Available at: https://www.microsoft.com/ru-ru/microsoft-365/excel (accessed Jan. 10, 2022).
- Engineering Mathematical Software Mathcad. Available at: https://www.mathcad.com/ru (accessed Jan. 10, 2022).
- Stella Architect Modelling Tool. Available at: https://www.iseesystems.com/store/products/stella-architect.aspx (accessed Jan. 10, 2022).
- Modelling Nuclear Energy Systems with MESSAGE: A Users’ Guide, IAEA Nuclear Energy Series No. NG-T-5.2, 2016. Available at: https://www.iaea.org/publications/10861/modelling-nuclear-energy-systems-with-message-a-users-guide (accessed Jan. 10, 2022).
- INPRO Methodology for Sustainability Assessment of Nuclear Energy Systems: Economics. INPRO manual. IAEA Nuclear Energy Series NG-T-4.4, IAEA, 2014. Available at: https://www.iaea.org/publications/10604/inpro-methodology-for-sustainability-assessment-of-nuclear-energy-systems-economics (accessed Jan. 10, 2022).
- Nuclear Fuel Cycle Simulation System: Improvements and Applications. IAEA-TECDOC-1864, IAEA, 2019. Available at: https://www.iaea.org/publications/13502/nuclear-fuel-cycle-simulation-system-improvements-and-applications (accessed Jan. 10, 2022).
- Altynnikova U.F., Andrianov A.A., Gurin A.V., Dyrda N.D., Kuptsov I.S., Makeeva I.R., Muravev E.V., Ptitsyn P.B., Fomichenko P.A. Verification of Software Tools for Technical and Economic Modelling of Nuclear Energy Systems: Results and Recommendations. Atomic Energy. 2021, v.131. iss. 4, pp. 192-199.
- Andrianov A.A., Dogov A.A., Korovin Yu.A., Kuptsov I.S. An Approach to Identification of Optimal Nuclear Transmutation Strategies. Yadernaya fizika i inzhiniring. 2014, v. 5, no. 2, p. 122.
- Andrianov A.A., Andrianova O.N., Kuptsov I.S., Utyanskaya T.V., Svetlichny L.I. A Scenario Study on the Transition to a Closed Nuclear Fuel Cycle Using the Nuclear Energy System Modelling Application Package (NESAPP). EPJ Nuclear Sci. Technol., 2022, v. 8, no. 2, p. 11; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1051/epjn/2021029 .
- Andrianov A.A., Kovganko D.V. Prediction of the Levelized Cost of Electricity for Nuclear Power Plants with Different Nuclear Reactors. Vestnik NIYaU MIFI, 2020, v. 9, no. 4, pp. 368-375; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1134/S2304487X20040033.
technical and economic modelling scenario analysis nuclear energy nuclear energy system nuclear technologies nuclear fuel cycle software tool
Link for citing the article: Andrianov A.A., Kuptsov I.S., Osipova T.A., Spiridonova A.A., Andrianova O.N., Utyanskaya T.V. Nuclear Energy System Modelling Application Package: Functional Overview and Examples. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya Energetika. 2022, no. 2, pp. 148-160; DOI: https://doi.org/10.26583/npe.2022.2.14 (in Russian).