Analysis of Numerical Studies into the Thermal-Hydraulic and Coupled Neutronic and Thermal-Hydraulic Stability of Supercritical Water Reactors
The paper presents a review of modern studies into the potential types of the supercritical reactor core coolant flow instabilities. Instabilities affect adversely the operating safety of nuclear power plants. Despite an impressive number of numerical studies on the subject, there are problems which remain unsolved. This is largely explained by drawbacks in numerical reactor models. The major of these are the use of one simulated channel instead of a system of two or more parallel channels, the lack of consideration of neutronic feedbacks, and a problem of choosing calculated ratios for the heat-transfer coefficient and the hydraulic resistance coefficient in conditions of a supercritical water flow. Based on this, a decision was made to undertake an analysis which will make it possible to identify these problems and to formulate, on their basis, general requirements to the model of a nuclear reactor with supercritical light-water coolant. The need has been noted for building improved numerical models for the integrated analysis of interlinked hydrodynamic, thermal and neutronic processes in the reactor plant’s cooling channels with regard for the peculiarities of the flow and heat exchange in water with highly variable properties.
- Bergles A.E. Review of Instabilities in Two-Phase Systems. Two$Phase Flows and Heat Transfer. 1977, v. 1, pp. 383-422.
- Yadigaroglu G. Instability of Two-Phase Flow and Propagation of Disturbances. In: Delhaye J.M., Giot M., Rietmuller M.L. Thermohydraulics of Two$Phase Systems for Industrial Design and Nuclear Engineering. Moscow. Energoatomizdat Publ., 1984, ch. 17, pp. 271-307 (in Russian).
- Ambrosini W. On the Analogies in the Dynamic Behaviour of Heated Channels with Boiling and Super-Critical Fluids. Nuclear Engineering and Design. 2007, v. 237, pp. 1164-1174; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2007.01.006 .
- Ambrosini W., Sharabi M. Dimensionless Parameters in Stability Analysis of Heated Channels with Fluids at Supercritical Pressures. Nuclear Engineering and Design. 2008, v. 238, pp. 1917-1929; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2007.09.008 .
- Ambrosini W., Bilbao y Leon S., Yamada K. Results of the IAEA Benchmark Exercise on Flow Stability in Heated Channels with Supercritical Fluids. The V$th International Symposium on Supercritical Water$Cooled Reactors (ISSCWR$5). March 13-16, 2011, Vancouver, Canada, p. 115.
- Saha P., Zuber N. An Analytical Study of the Thermally Induced Two-Phase Flow Instabilities Including the Effect of Thermal Non-Equilibrium. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 1978, v. 21, pp. 415-426; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/0017-9310(78)90075-3 .
- Gomez T.O., Class A., Lahey R.T., Schulenberg T. Stability Analysis of a Uniformly Heated Channel with Supercritical Water. Nuclear Engineering and Design. 2008, v. 238, pp. 1930-1939; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2007.10.031 .
- Zhao J., Saha P., Kazimi M.S. Hot-Channel Stability of Supercritical Water-Cooled Reactors-II: Effect of Water Rod Heating and Comparison with BWR Stability. Nuclear Technology. 2007, v. 158, pp. 174-190; DOI: https://doi.org/10.13182/NT07-A3834 .
- Yi T.T., Koshizuka S., Oka Y. A Linear Stability Analysis of Supercritical Water Reactors, (I) Thermal-Hydraulic Stability. Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology. 2004, v. 41, pp. 1166-1175; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/18811248.2004.9726345.
- Liu P., Hou D., Lin M., Kuang B., Yang Y. Stability Analysis of Parallel-Channel Systems under Super-Critical Pressure with Heat Exchanging. Annals of Nuclear Energy. 2014, v. 69, pp. 267-277; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2014.02.021 .
- Hou D., Lin M., Liu P., Yang Y. Stability Analysis of Parallel-Channel Systems with Forced Flows under Supercritical Pressure. Annals of Nuclear Energy. 2011, v. 38, pp. 2386-2396; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2011.07.021 .
- Xiong T., Yan X., Huang S., Yu J., Huang Y. Modeling and Analysis of Supercritical Flow Instability in Parallel Channels. International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. 2013, v. 57, pp. 549-557; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2012.08.046 .
- Tian X., Tian W., Zhu D., Qiu S., Su G., Xia B. Flow Instability Analysis of Supercritical Water-Cooled Reactor CSR1000 Based on Frequency Domain. Annals of Nuclear Energy. 2012, v. 49, pp. 70-80; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2012.06.023 .
- Yagov P.V., Churkin A.N., Mokhova O.V. Analysis of the Thermohydrodynamic Stability of the Coolant Flow and Uneven Heating in VVER-SKD Fuel Assemblies. VANT. Ser: Obespechenie Bezopasnosti AES. 2011, iss. 29, pp. 82-91 (in Russian).
- Chistov A.S., Savikhin O.G., Ovchinnikov V.F., Nikolaev M.Y. Investigation of the Stability of the Coolant Flow Rate in a Two-Circuit NPP with a VVER SKD Reactor. Problemy Prochnosti i Plastichnosty. 2015, v. 77, no. 3, pp. 309-318; DOI: https://doi.org/10.32326/1814-9146-2015-77-3-309-318 (in Russian).
- Su Y., Feng J., Zhao H., Tian W., Su G., Qiu S. Theoretical Study on the Flow Instability of Supercritical Water in the Parallel Channels. Progress in Nuclear Energy. 2013, v. 68, pp. 169-176; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pnucene.2013.06.005 .
- Dutta G., Zhang C., Jiang J. Analysis of Flow Induced Density Wave Oscillations in the CANDU Su-Percritical Water Reactor. Nuclear Engineering and Design. 2015, v. 286, pp. 150-162; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2015.02.007 .
- Dutta G., Zhang C., Jiang J. Analysis of Parallel Channel Instabilities in the CANDU Supercritical Water Reactor. Annals of Nuclear Energy. 2015, v. 83, pp. 264-273; DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.anucene.2015.04.023 .
- Yi T.T., Koshizuka S., Oka Y. A Linear Stability Analysis of Supercritical Water Reactors, (II) Coupled Neutronic Thermal-Hydraulic Stability. Journal of Nuclear Science and Technology. 2004, v. 41, pp. 1176-1186; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1080/ 18811248.2004.9726346 .
- Buongiorno J., MacDonald P.E. Supercritical Water Reactor (SCWR). Progress Report for the FY-03 Generation-IV. R&D Activities for the Development of the SCWR in the U.S. Report INEEL/EXT03$03$01210. Idaho National Engineering and Environmental Laboratory, USA, 2003.
- Zhao J., Saha P., Kazimi M.S. Coupled Neutronic and Thermal-Hydraulic Out-of-Phase Stability of Supercritical Water-Cooled Reactors. Nuclear Technology. 2008, v. 164, pp. 20-33; DOI: https://doi.org/10.13182/NT08-A4005 .
- Cervi E., Cammi A. Stability Analysis of the Supercritical Water Reactor by Means of the Root Locus Criterion. Nuclear Engineering and Design. 2018, v. 338, pp. 137-157; DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nucengdes.2018.08.004 .
Link for citing the article: Sudzhyan A.M., Deev V.I., Kharitonov V.S. Analysis of Numerical Studies into the Thermal-Hydraulic and Coupled Neutronic and Thermal-Hydraulic Stability of Supercritical Water Reactors. Izvestiya vuzov. Yadernaya Energetika. 2021, no. 3, pp. 29-43; DOI: https://doi.org/10.26583/npe.2021.3.03 (in Russian).