Bioindication of the environment in the vicinity of the far-eastern center for radioactive waste treatment
The present study was aimed at estimating the environmental conditions in the vicinity of the Far”Eastern center on radioactive waste treatment using bioindication techniques. Three species of plants (five”finger, violet, white clover) were sampled in five sites with dose rates ranging from 0.05 to 6.0 μSv/h. A fluctuating asymmetry of leaves and pollen fertility were used as indexes of the environmental well”being. A statistically significant increase in the index of fluctuating asymmetry in white clover was found on the site where external dose rate enhanced the background rate by a factor of 50 – 60. In the same white clover population a rare morphological anomaly was found. Survey of the reproduction index, namely, pollen sterility, under conditions of relatively low levels of man”made impact revealed an increase in sterile pollen grains percentage in violet plants along with an external dose rate, while five”finger plants showed enhanced pollen sterility on the reference site. This allows an assumption about a significant contribution of ecological factors (weather, species type, biotic surrounding) to the cumulative plant response under low”level radiation impact. Thus, in this study alterations in developmental stability and reproduction ability are revealed in some plant species inhabiting sites with the highest levels of radiation impact. The findings obtained show that the bioindication approach could be considered as a promising method for primary screening”level assessment of the environmental well” being under man”made (including radioactive) contamination.
- Radiacionnaja obstanovka na territorii Rossii i sopredel’nyh gosudarstv v 2012 godu. Ezhegodnik [Radiation situation on the territory of Russia and neighboring countries in 2012]. Moscow. Meteoagenstvo Rosgidrometa Publ., 2013 (in Russian).
- MUK 22.214.171.1244-03. Radiacionnyj kontrol’. Stroncij-90 i cezij-137. Pishhevye produkty. Otbor prob, analiz i gigienicheskaja ocenka [Guidelines. Radiation control. Strontium-90 and ceasium-137. Foodstuffs. Sampling, analysis and hygienic estimation]. Moscow. Minzdrav Rossii Publ., 2003, 31 p. (in Russian).
- Metodicheskie rekomendacii po vypolneniju ocenki kachestva sredy po sostojaniju zhivyh sushhestv (ocenka stabil’nosti razvitija zhivyh organizmov po urovnju asimmetrii morfologicheskih struktur) [Guidelines for the implementation of environment quality assessment on living beings (evaluation of stability of living organisms on an asymmetry level in morphological structures)] // Rosekologiya Order of 16.10.2003 № 460. Moscow. Nauka Publ., 2003. 24 p. (in Russian).
- Pausheva Z.P. Praktikum po citologii rastenij [Practical training on plant cytology]. Moscow. Kolos Publ., 1988. 304 p. (in Russian).
- Pozolotina V.N., Molchanova I.V., Karavaeva E.N., Mihajlovskaja L.N., Antonova E.V. Sovremennoe sostojanie nazemnyh jekosistem Vostochno-Ural’skogo radioaktivnogo sleda: urovni zagrjaznenija, biologicheskie jeffekty [The current state of terrestrial ecosystems of the Eastern Ural Radioactive Trace: pollution levels, biological effects]. Ekaterinburg. Goshchitskii Publ., 2008, 204 p. (in Russian).
- Geras’kin S.A., Evseeva T.I., Oudalova A.A. Plants as a tool for the environmental health assessment / In: Encyclopedia of Environmental Health. Burlington: Elsevier, 2011, v. 4, pp. 571-579.
- Gorshkova T.A. Ocenka vozmozhnosti ispol’zovanija klevera polzuchego (Тrifolium repens L.) dlja bioindikacii antropogennogo narushenija sredy. Izvestija Samarskogo nauchnogo centra RAN. 2012, v. 14, no. 1, pp. 69–73 (in Russian).
- Korona V.V. Stroenie i izmenchivost’ list’ev rastenij [Structure and variability of plant leaves]. Ekaterinburg. UrO RAN Publ., 2007, 280 p. (in Russian).
- Geras’kin S.A., Sarapul’ceva E.I. (red.) Biologicheskij kontrol’ okruzhajushhej sredy. Geneticheskij monitoring [Biological control of environment. Genetic monitoring]. Moscow. Akademija Publ., 2010, 208 p. (in Russian).
- Bahvalov A.V., Pavlova N.N., Mirzeabasov O.A., Rasskazova M.M., Lavrent’eva G.V., Synzynys B.I., Glushkov Ju.M. Ocenka jekologicheskogo riska na osnove analiza kriticheskih nagruzok na jekosistemu regional’nogo hranilishha radioaktivnyh othodov. Bjulleten’ Nacional’nogo radiacionno(jepidemiologicheskogo registra «Radiacija i risk». 2012, v. 21, no. 4, pp. 41–50 (in Russian).